“More than two-thirds of states now have adult obesity rates above 25 percent,” Jeff Levi, executive director of the Trust for America’s Health, said during a Tuesday news conference. “Back in 1991, not that long ago, not a single state had an obesity rate above 20 percent. There’s been a dramatic change in a relatively short period.”
There is only one thing to say about this, wow.
This statistic is referring to adults, but do you know what makes this 10x worse? The same unhealthy junk food these adults are eating is the exact same junk they are feeding their children! How can we stop this cycle of our children developing poor eating habits at an early age? Here are a few major steps in the right direction:
– Education: Most kids these days don’t even know the names of the most common fruits and vegetables! We need to implement mandatory nutritional classes that teach kids the importance of eating right and actually SHOW them how to make simple, yet healthy snacks. Get the parents involved too!
– Affordability: Push local governments to implement school lunches and snacks that are healthy AND affordable. Better ingredients = high costs. Local and state governments need to find a way to increase school budgets for healthier food options. Americans are finally seeing the repercussions of eating processed junk. Let’s do something about it!
– Accessibility: Most kids are going to eat what they are given or what they are told to eat. Let’s give them tasty healthier options and see how they like it! Here at H.U.M.A.N., we give schools 100% healthy vending programs for absolutely free. Providing the tastiest healthy snacks and drinks to students allows them to TRY these amazing tasting products and starts a domino effect. Snacking daily on all-natural Izze pop and bag of Pirates Booty is far more healthy than a Coke and bag of Cheetos.
Let’s be real here. The statistics don’t lie. In Mississippi, the #1 obese state in the country, dang near 50% of the people are obese! American’s need to unite and find a way to make our country a more healthy environment for future generations.
- My Vending Route: HUMAN Employee Runs Profitable Vending Route - December 20, 2010
- How Vending Machines In Schools Are Affected By Branding - July 23, 2010
- Obesity Rates Jump In 28 States - June 30, 2010